Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nostalgia: Where Is Our Old Tin City?

I recall my Uni-Jos days with palpable nostalgia. I recall taking long walks in blistering cold in my jeans and T-shirts. I recall touching the clouds as i stand on the balcony of our Naraguta Hostel. I recall my Jambite days and all the promises of great days ahead. I recall the riots, tear gass and taking food "without." I recall the joy, the laughter, and the ambience of love amongst my circle of friends. I recall the sweet potatoes, the cabbage, and Irish potatoes. I recall the flowers, their scintillating fragrance and the beauty they exude. I recall our sweet Tin City with its promise of greatness.

What a shame we see today as our brothers kill each other. What a shame as we witness human progress in other climes: while we retrogress to the lowest level of human dynamics. What a shame that some nations are plotting to go to Mars while we are worse than dogs. What a shame that today, rather than cementing brotherhood, we are bent on sucking each other's blood. What a shame.....What a shame....

I remember towards my last year on campus telling someone a gloomy prediction that Jos will explode one day; the person looked benumbed as did not know what i saw. But even at that age in my early twenties, i could sense hostility even when concealed. As a liberal youngster then, i mixed freely with both “Jasawa” and the indigenous tribesmen: I could feel their anger, fears and misgivings. I could sense something amiss even though there was friendliness and relative peace. But still there was a looming apocalypses awaiting ignition.

Time has come for all to know that the volume of water that has passed under the bridge will never come back in the same state. The time has come for both parties to take a retrospective appraisal of their stance on the issues in contention: The time has come for the leaders in plateau to reduce the poverty level which is ravaging that clime to enable some sanity to set in. It should be borne in mind that blaming someone for your gloom will never lift u up; rather you will fall and live in a self inflicted eternal doom. Both parties should wise up: we all need each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment